WHAT IS A HYBRID BICYCLE?
If you’ve heard about the hybrid bike but you’re not sure what they’re talking about, this post is for you. Get more about cycling go to best bike us-
This type of bicycles is designed for urban use and combine features of mountain bikes and road bikes, hence its name. They are ideal for use as a means of transport or recreation. Then we tell you a little more about these bikes.
The birth of hybrid bicycles
In the late 70’s the market was dominated by road bicycles, commonly 10-speed and city bicycle with a speed and brake pedal. At the end of this decade and the beginning of the 80’s mountain bikes emerged, which quickly gained popularity.
Despite its popularity, mountain bikes were not an ideal solution for those looking for a bicycle for urban use, because they are heavy and slow. To this, the manufacturers responded with the creation of specially designed bicycles for the city, combining features of mountain bikes and road bikes. And that’s how hybrid bicycles were born.
Characteristics of hybrid bicycles
Within the hybrids you can find variants, there are those that are more similar to the route bikes and others with characteristics more similar to the MTB as you will see later. But in general, this type of bikes is characterized by their:
Handlebar / handlebar
Normally they use straight or double-height handlebars, similar to those of mountain bikes. It is possible to find models, focused more on comfort that uses trekking handles and some that also use adjustable powers.
The frames of the hybrids have a geometry that aims at comfort, allowing a position with the torso erect, relaxing arms and neck. They are usually built in aluminum, although you can find high-end bicycles manufactured or using carbon fiber components.
Although the geometry generally resembles that of the MTB frames, there are models that tend more than tend a little towards the road frames, as you will see later.
The wheels of the hybrids are usually of an intermediate width between the road and the mountain. In general, they use tires/covers ideal for use in the pavement, although both the width and the pattern may vary depending on the particular objectives of each bicycle. It is very common the rolled 700, but there are models that use 26 “especially in small and medium sizes.
A great source- Schwinn Men’s Network 3.0 700C Wheel Men’s best Hybrid Bicycle White, 18′ Frame size
The hybrids use multiple speeds, generally with a wide range of speeds that facilitates the ascents and allows a good speed in flat terrains. Also, it is possible to find models that have low ranges, more similar to those used by mountain bikes and others with high ranges like road bikes. The vast majority of these bicycles use changes with derailleur but it is possible to find some models with internal changes.
Some variants of the hybrids
These bikes are designed to be used as a means of daily transportation. It seems to be efficient and provide comfort for the urban cyclist.
- Normally they are bicycles with frame and rigid scissors.
- Many of these bikes have variable height power to adjust to the cyclist.
- Generally, they use rolled 700c and covered with an ideal drawing for pavement.
- They are usually equipped with fenders and rack.
These bikes aim to maximize comfort. They are ideal for short and relaxed tours.
- The geometry of the frame allows for a more upright posture which allows the upper body to be further relaxed.
- They are usually equipped with suspension in the scissors and in some cases in the seat post.
- Commonly they are equipped with roll 26 and covers of greater volume which gives them greater smoothness when rolling.
- They are usually equipped with variable power and fenders.
Hybrid for long trips
Also known as fitness bikes, they are designed to travel long distances, mainly on paved roads, efficiently and comfortably. Its geometry is more similar to that of the road bikes, but with straight handlebars.
- They use rolled 700c with thin and rather smooth covers. This makes them faster than the other hybrids.
- His picture is quite similar to that of road bikes with the difference that the box has the option of installing fenders and rack.
- The range of speeds is similar to the one of the bikes of route generally three plates and a wide rank in the pinions.
- These bikes are usually rigid, without any suspension.
All Terrain Hybrids
This variety offers a greater versatility than the previous ones, in terms of the variety of terrains in which it can be used. But it is important to point out that when using wider tires, speed is sacrificed a little.
- The picture of these bicycles is robust, similar to that of a mountain one.
- They are usually equipped with front suspension.
- They use covers a little wider and with moderate segments.
- They are commonly equipped with disc brakes.
Advantages and disadvantages of hybrid bicycles
- Can be used as a means of transport and/or exercise
- Its geometry is very comfortable
- You can use them on different surfaces (pavement, gravel, earth)
- They are slower than road bikes
- They are not as tough as mountain bikes
For whom are hybrid bikes ideal?
This type of bicycle is ideal for those who want to use it as a means of transport and also have the versatility to use it recreationally or to exercise. Depending on the route and use that you are going to give, it will be the characteristics that you will have to look for. In general, the different variants of the hybrids allow an upright posture and seek to increase comfort and practice when used in an urban environment.
It is important to clarify that these bikes are not mountain bikes or routes. If your main objective is to travel abrupt roads, a better option is an MTB. On the other hand, if you rather want to go on the road and look for speed, a road bike is what you need.