In our childhood everything was simple but do you know rules for shifting gears bike – we did not hear about any programs, we drove at the same speed. Over time, everything becomes more complicated, and now we have models of bicycles on which the number of gears can reach up to thirty! How to cope with the management of the entire complex system? Proper gear shifting by bike let’s see what these programs are all about.
We have two groups of stars – the rear ones (the so-called followers, from 6-11 pieces, in our case there are 7 of them) and the anterior ones (they are also leading ones, in our case there are three of them, although it happens less). These stars are different in size, from small to large, due to which we can control the speed and maneuverability of our vehicles, approximately, like using a gearbox on a car.
As a result, the speed range of modern bikes will range from 18 to 30, the most common of the – 21-speed. Correct bike gear shifting contributes to ride comfort; the cyclist gets less tired himself and does not subject his vehicle to premature wear. Let us try to formulate the basic principles of switching speeds, which are applicable both to a 21-speed bicycle and for all others that have more than one speed.
How to switch gears – rules
- The higher the ascent, the easier the transfer, and vice versa – for the descent. In this case, you should focus on the effort that you feel in the pedals. As soon as you feel heavy, drop the gear, but if it is too easy to turn, you can increase it.
- Shifting gears should be before ascent or descent, and not during them. Switching under load can damage the circuit or the switch itself. Only professional equipment groups are designed for such a mode of operation.
- It is necessary to choose the right frequency of rotation in order not to waste forces and to protect you from the risk of injury.
- If you are going to switch the speed, in no case cannot turn the pedals back. This may damage the circuit.
- At that moment, when you change the speed, you need to reduce the force on the pedals. This will ensure a smooth transition to a different speed, which is favorable for the transmission.
- Really use about 4/5 of all possible gears, as some of them cause premature wear of the chain and stars. The chain must not be skewed, and this happens when both small and both big stars are used in front and behind.
- Gaining experience, you intuitively feel at what point you need to switch the speed and what gear to choose. Proper switching requires careful and thoughtful attitude at first, and the rest is achieved by practice. We wish you good luck on the road!