An annoying and unpleasant feeling visits everyone who has ever pierced bicycle tires explained on the road. Banal reasons to stop conquering space just cannot think of. And it does not matter for what reason the puncture happened – did not look through, did not check the pressure, and another thousand and one reasons. Then you think, standing in an open field, about the frailty of being and the quality of a bicycle tire and average speed on a road bike. We will not touch the philosophy, but let’s talk about the punctures of tires.
You can come up with any number of ways to protect a bicycle tire from a puncture. This is the same as talking about how not to get wet in a shower. This is inevitable, as demob for a soldier. But we must not forget that in our century there are antiprokolnye bicycle tires. About they will be discussed.
This type of tire is expensive and also not a panacea, but according to manufacturers, reduces the risk of being punctured three times. Leave it on their conscience and see what is so special about these bike tires.
Popular bicycle models
Fans of long autonomous journeys prefer Schwalbe tires. They are reliable, lightweight and have several levels of protection against puncture. Consider them in more detail.
According to the classification Schwab release antiprokolnye wheels 6 levels of protection. To make it easier for you to choose from them, each level will be considered in more detail.
- Level one. The protective layer is not used, a very coarse carcass material, used in Kenda tires and some other manufacturers.
- Level two. Frame high density. Also does not apply a special antiprokolny layer. They are used only in ultra-light models of road tires for competition.
- Level three. It’s more interesting here. A new protective layer has appeared which covers the frame and the entire tire from the inside.
- Fourth level. Double layer lightweight nylon fiber. It does not make the tire heavier and is suitable for sports road workers.
- Level five. Less elastic tires, but with a double layer of nylon fiber. Additionally, there is a high-tech layer that protects the sidewalls of the tire and does not make it heavier.
- Level six. The most effective way to protect against puncture. It uses a 5 mm elastic layer that protects against small punctures completely. But to the detriment of the weight of rubber, of course.
In principle, it all comes down to building up a layer of rubber and applying high-tech layers. Many manufacturers use the Kevlar layer, which significantly increases the resistance of the puncture and, unfortunately, the weight.
For example, Continental Sports Contact Safety System antiprokolnye tires use the same multi-layer puncture resistance enhancers. This rubber is more expensive, but more effectively saves from a puncture. In addition, a little easier Schwalbe – 500 grams.
Bike manufacturing process
There are many more ways to partially get rid of punctures. For example, antiprokolnoy protective tape. It is just a tape of thick protective plastic, which is placed between the tire wheel and the camera. To the weight of the rubber, it will add about 150 grams, depending on the manufacturer.
There is also a mass of gels, sealants and other chemicals to prevent puncture of a bicycle tire, but this is a special story.